Cherry Tree offers 30 hours free child care places.
You may be eligible for up to 30 hours' FREE childcare.
- All 3 and 4 year olds can get 15 hours free early education (570 hours per year). You can use these from the term after your child turns 3.
- Some 3 and 4 year olds can get an extra 15 hours childcare, this is known as 30 hours free childcare.
- Use your 15 free hours with a school nursery, childminder, day nursery or pre-school. Contact them about place availability and when your child can start.
3 and 4 Year Olds
All 3 to 4-year-olds in England can get at least 15 hours of free early education or childcare from the term after they turn 3.
|Your child is born between...||Your child can start...|
1 April – 31 August
On or after 1 September after their 3rd birthday
1 September – 31 December
On or after 1 January after their 3rd birthday
1 January – 31 March
On or after 1 April after their 3rd birthday
The free early education and childcare:
- must be with an approved childcare provider
- stops when your child starts in Reception class (or reaches compulsory school age, if later)
You can choose to take the hours at 1 provider or split them between providers.
If you want to split them, the providers will need to be registered and agree to this.
When you are using your free hours, providers will:
specify when early education sessions can be taken
decide the price of any extra hours you want to take
make it clear in their admissions policy how many funded places they have.
The government will pay the provider directly for the hours. Any hours you get after this are charged at the provider's own rate.
You may be able to get up to 30 hours free childcare (1,140 hours per year, which you can choose how you take).
If you’re eligible for the extra hours, you sign up online to get a code to give to your childcare provider to reserve your place. You’ll get the extra hours once the next term starts.
You can usually get 30 hours free childcare if you (and your partner, if you have one) are:
- in work - or getting parental leave, sick leave or annual leave
- each earning at least the National Minimum Wage or Living Wage for 16 hours a week - this is £125.28 if you’re over 25
This earnings limit does not apply if you’re self-employed and started your business less than 12 months ago.
You’re not eligible if:
- your child does not usually live with you
- the child is your foster child
- either you or your partner has a taxable income over £100,000
- you’re from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds
To Apply For 30 hours' Child Care
You’ll need your details (and your partner’s, if you have one), including your:
- National Insurance number
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), if you’re self-employed
You’ll get a childcare account if your application is successful. You can use it to get your code for 30 hours free childcare.
If you pay for childcare and want to use Tax-Free Childcare to get help with costs, you can also apply using this service.
It usually takes 20 minutes to apply. You may find out if you’re eligible straight away, but it can take up to 7 days. Apply here.
For more information, and other childcare options, see the government's Childcare Choices website and the Hertfordshire Council Childcare pages.
*The documents posted on this page contain external links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. These links and pointers are provided for the user’s convenience. Cherry Tree School does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of this outside information. The inclusion of links or pointers to particular items is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it intended as an endorsement by Cherry Tree School of any views expressed or products or services offered on these outside sites or the organisations sponsoring the sites. Cherry Tree School does not endorse individual vendors, products or services. Therefore, any reference herein to any vendor, product or services by trade name, trademark, or manufacturer or otherwise does not constitute or imply the endorsement, recommendation or approval of Cherry Tree School.